Campo San Geremia, along with other large campi in Venice, was once a stage for the famous caccia al toro, or bull hunt, a popular spectacle in Venice from the 12th to the early 19th century.
The hunt was a fight between trained dogs and a bull, wherein the dogs would attack and agitate the bull, who would then try to gore them, but the bull would be held still by ropes around his horns, pulled by tiradori (local butchers, shop assistants, and gondoliers). The spectacle would end with the decapitation or slaughter of the wounded bull; the head was presented to the Doge, and the entrails donated to the hospital of the Pieta'.
Campo San Geremia is home to the baroque Palazzo Labia and the Church of Saints Geremia and Lucia.
Palazzo Labia, constructed between the 17th and 18th centuries by the Catalan family Labia, has in its ballroom a magnificent series of frescoes, the Storie di Antonio e Cleopatra, painted by Gianbattista Tiepolo from 1746 to 1747. They are considered among his greatest masterpieces. Today the palace is the occupied by the Veneto Region RAI (public television) offices.
In the Church of Saints Geremia and Lucia you can find the preserved body of Santa Lucia, virgin and martyr of Syracuse, one of the best-known and most venerated saints in Christianity, whose yearly day of celebration is December 13th. The church is a destination for pilgrims the world over.